ALSO ON RAVELLO RECORDS
BEWTEEN ROCK & A HARD PLACE (RR7898)
PLOT: MUSIC FOR
McCormick Percussion Group
On their seventh Ravello Records release, PLOT: MUSIC FOR UNSPECIFIED INSTRUMENTATION, the McCormick Percussion Group, directed by Robert McCormick, delivers a diverse collection of works that explore and expand the bounds of the percussion ensemble, featuring the use of improvisation, taped field recordings, and computer-generated graphical scores.
Bones (2000), the opening piece by Stuart Saunders Smith, examines the existence between composed musical thoughts and improvisational interactions. With only the parts and no score, the musicians choose the order of the pages and improvise the musical events presented. Nine and a Half for Henry (and Wilbur and Orville) (1964) and Pacific Sirens (1969) by Robert Erickson can be considered companion pieces, both involving taped sounds – including engines, machinery, and the Pacific surf – and acoustic instrumentation.
Percussion (1935) is the second of eight known percussion ensemble works composed by Johanna Magdalena Beyer (1888-1944). The fourth movement was Beyer’s only composition to be published during her lifetime, and until recently, was misunderstood as a complete and freestanding composition. These pioneering works consistently demonstrate clear structural design, economical use of material, and confident originality. Plot, composed by Herbert Brün for solo percussion, is praised for its innovative use of computer-generated graphical score, which is not intended to be improvised. Rather, the performer creates a well-crafted interpretation through the analysis of a coordinate system that influences choices regarding instrument and implement selections, timbre, and connectivity of sounds. The adventurous programs that the McCormick Percussion Group tirelessly and effectively offer show them as one of today’s leading percussion ensembles, dedicated to pushing the repertoire and seeking the new and unknown.
biographies, and more
- The McCormick Percussion Group’s albums are praised by Gramophone Magazine for having “spellbinding virtuosity and limpid eloquence,” and by Gapplegate Classical-Modern Music Review for having “music that engrosses as it transcends boundaries”
- Robert McCormick is a former member of the Harry Partch Ensemble and served as Principal Percussionist with the Florida Orchestra for 20 seasons
- He is the recipient of several notable awards including the 2006 Music Educator of the Year Award, the 2007 Grand Prize Winner of the Keystone Percussion Composition Prize, the 2010 recipient of the Jerome Krivanek Distinguished University Teacher Awards, and is the winner of several Global Music Awards for his albums, including two for SOLI FOR SOPRANO WITH PERCUSSION ORCHESTRA
- McCormick is currently Professor of Music at the University of South Florida, Tampa
- McCormick’s previous Ravello releases include BETWEEN ROCK & A HARD PLACE, SOLI FOR SOPRANO WITH PERCUSSION ORCHESTRA, CONCERTI FOR STRINGS WITH PERCUSSION ORCHESTRA, CONCERTI FOR PIANO WITH PERCUSSION ORCHESTRA, THE MUSIC OF GUI SOOK LEE, and MUSIC FOR KEYBOARD PERCUSSIONS
Robert McCormick is currently Professor of Music at the
University of South Florida in Tampa. He is a former member of the Harry Partch Ensemble and served as Principal Percussionist with the Florida Orchestra for twenty seasons. He was the 2006 recipient of the Florida Music Educator of the Year Award, the 2007 Grand Prize Winner of the Keystone Percussion Composition Prize, the 2010 recipient of the Jerome Krivanek Distinguished University Teacher Awards and winner of several Global Music Awards for his albums.
Release Date: October 9, 2015
1) Bones (Smith)
2) Nine and a Half for Henry (and Wilbur and Orville) (Erickson)
3-7) Percussion (Beyer)
8) Percussion Responses (Tenney)
1) Plot (Brün)
2) Pacific Sirens (Erickson)
3) December 1952 (Brown)
4) Winter (Smith)
© RAVELLO RECORDS LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Ravello Records is the contemporary classical label imprint of audio production house PARMA Recordings. Dedicated to highlighting forward thinking composers and musicians from around the world, the New England-based label's eclectic catalog offers listeners a cross-section of today's up-and-coming innovators in orchestral, chamber, and experimental music.
223 Lafayette Road
North Hampton NH 03862
603.758.1718 x 152